Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lesson Plans!

We have started our first lesson plan! My dad started teaching 3 years ago and talked about creating lesson plans and how much work they are for beginning teachers. I was confused because I thought, "How hard can it be to decide what you what to teach your students?" I was so wrong.

When creating your lesson plan, there are Tennessee State standards that must be followed. On the Tennessee standards website there are standards listed for each grade level and each subject within that grade level. In addition to the state standards, there are also standards for using technology. On this website it lists the different criteria for the grade levels also.

When beginning my lesson plan, I decided what grade I could be teaching and what subject. I chose second grade science and will be teaching the seasons. Next, I filled in Tennessee and NETS standards. The rest of the lesson plan consists of tools that will be used as well as step-by-step instructions for the teacher and students. By writing down the detailed instructions, I will be able to look back at this lesson plan one year later and know exactly what I need to do to get ready for this lesson. I also created a worksheet for students to fill out. Students will be using the internet and a book to find out information about the seasons across the United States.

I assumed that creating this lesson plan would simply be putting a worksheet together and giving it to the kids. One of the challenging parts in lesson planning is figuring out the best way for children to learn. I want to be able to provide my students with informative, fun lessons but still meet all of the necessary guidelines. I am excited about creating more lesson plans in the future and look forward to the time when I can just look back at lesson plans from the year before and know exactly what I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment