Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (but mostly the good!) of a Web Site

I have just evaluated my first web site!

I evaluated PBS.org and specifically the teacher's section for grades K-2. Most of us have heard of PBS through television and have most likely watched some of their shows when we were younger. You'll be happy to know that the web site is just as good as the T.V. station. It incorporates interactive simulation through games and teacher utility through discussion boards and lesson plans.

When evaluating the site I was really glad we had the evaluation forms. It showed me exactly what to look for in a good web site. Things like author credibility, site biases, current information, and usability of this site are things that I might not think about when looking at a site. Sometimes, we assume that if it is on the internet then it must be true! That's false. So I'm really glad the form made me think about important information.

While looking for a site to evaluate, I was able to find several other interesting sites that I could use in a classroom. This activity was useful to not only evaluate one web site, but to also find several others that I can evaluate and use in the future. There are so many tools and authors out there who want to better us as teaching professionals. I will definitely use this web site in my own classroom. It had 95 pages full of fun games for kids to use. These games incorporated books that kids are reading in the classroom. I thought that was really nice and would make learning more fun. The discussion board was also full of input from other teachers who have used the site and had success. The discussions range from good to bad but they are also honest and valuable for hopeful teachers.

I had fun evaluating the web site and I'm glad I know what to look for in the future.

Visit the site!
http://pbs.org/teachers/classroom/k-2/reading/resources

No comments:

Post a Comment